Monday, January 16, 2012

Written Goals

Hello all,

“Written Goals”

This came up at the Germantown sales meeting this week and I wanted talk about it a bit further. Mark very eloquently stated that the difference between a dream and a goal is that the goal is in writing. If you are staring at your computer on January 16th hoping that you will do between 6M-8M this year that is a dream. However if you have written down that you will do 18 transactions for 7.2M and also written down the actions you will take to achieve it, that is a goal. I would like to challenge each and every one of you take this step in your business. Previewing a training this weekend it was stated that only 3% of Realtors have written goals, you can see below this is the same number for Harvard MBAs. Seeing your goals in writing everyday is purposeful and keeps you focused, so please pick up a pen, think hard, be realistic, challenge yourself and write down your goals for the year. You need to place them in a place where you see them every day, I suggest you place them in a place where your family and or co-workers can see as well. I will start and they will be placed on the white boards for each office for the year.

Germantown- 368 Transactions for 125M

Park Potomac- 210 Transactions for 105M

Enjoy the coffee,

So, Why Do 3% of Harvard MBAs Make Ten Times as Much as the Other 97% Combined ?
The answer is a simple question: “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” In 1979, interviewers asked new graduates from the Harvard’s MBA Program and found that :
  • 84% had no specific goals at all
  • 13% had goals but they were not committed to paper
  • 3% had clear, written goals and plans to accomplish them

Monday Morning Coffee
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

On the playground of any school, and on any day, you can witness examples of children playing "follow the leader."  One hops, skips, or jumps, and all the others follow.  As adults, however, many of those children play a variation of that game - called "follow the follower."
On the job, they look around, see how someone else is doing their work, and duplicate the effort.  What they don't realize is that their fellow employee is also watching someone else.  A circular game of "follow the follower" evolves, resulting in a mediocre work force.  The same can be true in marriages, education, hobbies, and sports.
Consider the story of a telephone operator in a small town.  Every day she received a call from a gentleman asking for the correct time.  Finally, one day, she asked the mystery caller who he was and why he called every day.  His answer?  "I'm the one who blows the whistle at the factory each day at noon.  I like to be right on time!"  The operator laughed and then responded, "Here at the telephone company, we set our watches and clocks by the noon whistle at the factory!"
Tired of playing follow the follower?  Want to rejuvenate your life?  Begin acting like the unique person you already are.  See what everyone else is doing . . . and do something different.  Strike out in the direction of your own imagination instead of theirs. 
In the words of Henry David Thoreau, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've imagined."

No comments:

Post a Comment